These general functions will be carried out in keeping with the Goals, Mission and Policies of the YMCA of the East Bay.
Maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas. Create a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement. Respond to emergencies as required.
- Prevent incidents by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area at all times using American Red Cross standards such as constant scanning, shifting surveillance positions and uninterrupted focus.
- Know and review all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and standards. Complete related reports promptly and accurately.
- Maintain effective, positive relationships with members, participants and other staff.
- Know, understand, and consistently apply safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic areas, such as maintaining appropriate lifeguard to swimmer ratios.
- Wear appropriate attire that demonstrates lifeguarding role and equip self for all safety and rescue functions.
- Check rescue equipment and pool for hazardous conditions, and promptly report problems.
- Perform chemical testing, when not guarding, as required following safety standards and take appropriate action, including accurate record maintenance.
- Attend all staff meetings and in-service trainings.
- Support special events, assist in other areas, and perform other duties as required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility
- Able to hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility. Ability to understand and respond in English
- Meet and maintain the strength and lifting requirements as required by the lifeguard certification. Able to lift and move 30 lbs. of pool equipment
- Functional Expertise
- Communication and Influence
- Certifications: YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard CPR, AED & First Aid or equivalent
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness
- At least 18 years of age
We look forward to hearing from you!