Group Exercise Instructor
Instructs high-quality group classes in a safe, enjoyable and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. We are currently looking for Aqua, Dance, Cycling, Yoga, Pilates, and Body Conditioning/Sculpting instructors.
- Plans and leads safe, motivating and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
- Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living, not exceeding the scope of their position. Maintains working knowledge of wellness trends within hired expertise to provide effective information and support to members.
- Demonstrates proper, safe and effective exercise technique, as well as provides feedback, corrections and modifications to accommodate differing fitness levels and injuries/medical conditions.
- Demonstrates the creativity and initiative necessary to change, develop and adapt program offerings as needed.
- Actively supports staff team by regularly substitute teaching. In turn, proactively obtains appropriate substitute instructors as needed.
- Sets up and takes down class equipment and reports any equipment problems.
- Maintains records as required.
- Independently maintains all relevant certifications, including first aid related and professional exercise certifications.
- Maintains professional appearance and a healthy lifestyle.
- Actively participates in workshops, trainings and staff meetings as directed by the supervisor.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, such as emergency respondent protocol.
- Supports special events, assists in other areas, and perform other duties as required.
- Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Builds effective, supportive working relationships with volunteers. Supports fund-raising.
- Collaboration: Champions inclusion by working effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
- Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Strives to deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Current certification(s) from a relevant nationally recognized group exercise organization, such as ACE, Zumba, Spinning, AFAA, Yoga Alliance and/or YMCA equivalent.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications, such as Red Cross and American Heart Association.
- Prior experience participating in and/or leading group exercise classes.
- Ability to demonstrate physical activities in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Ability to use typical business software and machines.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Ability to walk, stand and sit (including on the floor) for at least two hours.
- Ability to lift and move 30 lbs. without assistance and up to 150 lbs. with assistance.
- Ability to bend, lean, kneel and demonstrate physical activity.
- Ability to project, communicate and queue effectively.
- Ability to respond to critical situations and have the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Ability to view/enter data.
Please submit cover letter, resume and the standard YMCA employment application (available on Careers home page) to Group Exercise Coordinator, Maria Meredith at firstname.lastname@example.org