Our child care and youth development programs give parents the peace of mind that comes from knowing your children are in a fun and safe environment where they will learn, explore and grow. We have programs for infants, toddlers and preschoolers. From before school care to afterschool help with homework and in summer camp, thousands of families trust the YMCA.
- We partner with local schools and community organizations to offer:
- Child Learning Centers in Eden Area , Fremont/Newark, Tri-Valley
- High School Infant Centers in West Contra Costa
- Parenting classes in West Contra Costa
- Day Camps in Downtown Oakland, Eden, Fremont, Hilltop Family, Tri-Valley, M. Robinson Baker and Eastlake, West Contra Costa
- Resident Camps in Camp Loma Mar, Camp Ravencliff
- Environmental Education Center in Camp Arroyo
Every teen deserves a good start on the road to being an adult. Our Teen Enrichment programs offer a safe, supportive alternative to the harsh streets. We provide a stable environment, where teens can develop their social, emotional, intellectual and moral skills. Teens involved in YMCA programs are more likely to earn better grades and stay in school.
We engage teens in:
- Dare2Dream Apprenticeship Programs: M. Robinson Baker
- Future Choice: Teen Pregnancy Prevention: M. Robinson Baker
- Developing the Warrior Within Youth Sports Program: M. Robinson Baker
- Day Camp Counselor-in-Leadership-Training Program: Downtown Oakland, Eden, Fremont/Newark, Tri-Valley, M. Robinson Baker and Eastlake, West Contra Costa
- Resident Camps: Camp Arroyo, Camp Loma Mar, Camp Ravencliff
- Youth in Government, Debate and Speech Clubs: Downtown Oakland, Eden Area, Tri-Valley, M. Robinson Baker and Eastlake, West Contra Costa, Fremont/Newark.
“Youth and Government has been a timeless experience for me. In my two years involved with the program, I've developed a greater sense of not only government and debating, but also a greater sense of life.”
Sukhmani Kaur, Fremont/Newark YMCA
A healthy body is just as important as a healthy mind and spirit. Our Health and Wellness programs help individuals and families achieve all three.
Our fitness centers provide equipment, classes and training so you can make regular physical activity a part of your life. We strive to reduce the negative impact of unhealthy lifestyles on youth and adults and create positive community awareness. We focus on giving you the tools and knowledge to prevent injury and illness, with a focus on nutrition, exercise and building self-esteem. Partnerships with hospitals, health organizations and other groups expand the resources and ensure the quality of service we deliver to our members and communities.
Here’s just a sampling of the Health and Wellness programs available at various locations:
- Healthy Kids Day
- Prenatal Exercise Classes
- Yoga and Tai Chi classes and wellness seminars
- Type II Diabetes Camp
- Fitness center programming in sports, aquatics and exercise: Downtown Oakland, Fremont/Newark, Hilltop Family,
- Childhood obesity education and programs
- Reach and Rise Mentoring program: Downtown Oakland, Tri-Valley, West Contra Costa.
“I have never been a great athlete but when my doctor told me to join the Y; I listened. I have been a member of DOY for over 20 years. I feel great, maintain my weight, rarely sick and aches and pains are gone.”
John Kofranek, Downtown Oakland YMCA
Back to top
Our community of members and partners is a colorful quilt of cultures, races and ethnic backgrounds. We serve children, teens, adults, families and seniors. Cultural harmony is an essential goal of all Y programs.
Throughout the year, we bring our members together at events and programs which celebrate diversity and reinforce the need to appreciate and respect one another. Our collaborative partnerships with community organizations keep us connected to the multicultural East Bay scene.
• Adult Retreat & Conference Centers: Camp Loma Mar and Camp Arroyo
“I get to know all kinds of people at the Y who I wouldn’t have a chance to meet anywhere else."
Timothy Buchanan, Oakland
Back to top