Pool Rules · Downtown Oakland YMCA
• Children needing swimming aids may use a U.S. Coast Guard approved Type I, II, and III life jacket only.
- You may bring your own U.S. Coast Guard approved type I, II, or III life jacket
- Swimsuits with flotation inserts must be U.S.Coast Guard approved.
• Swim suits only. Please do not wear street clothes into the pool.
• Observers must stay off the pool deck. The pool can be viewed from the front lobby.
• Please help us to keep our pool clean. Shower before entering the pool
• For your safety, diving is never permitted.
• Toys are welcome in the pool. Inflatable toys and water guns are not.
• Smoking, food, beverages, glass, sharp objects, and gum are not permitted in the pool area. Help us keep our pool clean and safe.
• Please do not spit onto the pool deck or into the gutters.
• Swimmers with open wounds should not use the pool.
• Rough play is not allowed at any time.
• For the comfort and privacy of our members, taking pictures and video recording equipment are not allowed in the pool area.
• For the safety of all children, a parent or guardian must escort children to the bathroom. YMCA staff is not allowed to accompany children to the bathroom.
Lap Swim / Water Walking
• Lap swim is for adults and supervised children who are swimming continuous laps. Water walking and water exercise should be conducted in the walking lane, unless approved by a lifeguard.
• Choose an appropriate lane according to swimming speed. Lane speed is designated by sign. Ask a life guard for assistance if needed.
• Lap swimmers must alert other swimmers when joining a lane.
• 2 swimmers in a lane must split the lane in half.
•3+ swimmers in a lane must circle swim – swim up on the right side and down on the left side of the lanes.
• Lane 1 is for water walking only, as designated by the water walking sign. For safety, no lap swimming is allowed in the water walking lane, unless approved by a lifeguard.
• Family Swim - children 12 and under and those who cannot swim must have a parent or guardian present in the water.
• Children who cannot swim must remain within arm’s length of a parent/guardian.
• To ensure the safety of your children, we allow a maximum of 2 non-swimming children per parent/guardian.
• Children who are not potty-trained must wear a swim/plastic diaper.Water Aerobics
• Classes get a minimum of two lanes.
• 13+ participants are eligible for a 3rd lane at the discretion of the lifeguard.
• 24+ participants are eligible for a 4th lane at the discretion of the lifeguard.